Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chapter 34 : Reflections on Writing This Book

Written by : Master Sheng-yen Lu
Translated by : Janny Chow

I, Living Buddha Lian-sheng, was originally a Christian. I then became a student of Taoism and studied feng-shui under Taoist Master Ch'ing Chen. Eventually I took refuge in Buddhism, first in the exoteric schools and later in the esoteric (Tantric) schools.

When I met Taoist Master Ch'ing Chen in Taiwan, he had renounced secular life and was living anonymously as a hermit. Although a Taoist of the Ch'ing Chen School, his knowledge was not confined to Taoism; he also had a profound understanding of the theories and practices of both Sutric and Tantric Buddhism. In fact, a closer look at the Master's lineage will reveal Vajra Master Jung Tseng and Vajra Master Norras to be his fellow disciples.

Taoist Master Ch'ing Chen was a scholar and expert in many arts and disciplines. His interests covered a vast array of subjects, and among his extensive book collections were priceless secret teachings that have never circulated publicly.

In his later years, Taoist Master Ch'ing Chen devoted himself to the mystical practices of t'u-na (breathing) and the tempering of the spirit. After attaining freedom and complete mastery of the self, he preferred not to bring up any of the miraculous deeds he had performed while living in mainland China. I was his only student and he taught me Taoism, Sutric Buddhism, Tantric Buddhism, and feng-shui. His unsurpassed feng-shui knowledge was an invaluable treasure, and I feel extremely fortunate to have studied and learned from him.

From all my years of studying and practicing Taoism, exoteric Buddhism, esoteric Buddhism, and feng-shui, I have learned many secrets between Heaven and Earth. I would like to follow in the footsteps of my master, living a life of seclusion. However, I now have many students of my own who continually seek me out to record my feng-shui knowledge. It seems that the more I run from fame, the more fame seeks me out; the harder I try to live in seclusion, the more I am sought out. This is an embarrassing and painful situation for me.

Since becoming a monk, I have realized the pathway that can transform and expand an ordinary existence into a transcendent one.

I have also understood the principles and method for immortality. With the mind and consciousness in accord with the Buddhas, I have attained realization and awakened to the true nature of the Mind. I had no longer intended to write any more articles about feng-shui. But I was approached by men of great virtues, here and overseas, who, knowing that I had studied the secrets of feng-shui, urged me to write a book detailing the practice of the household feng-shui. They reasoned that if I kept this treasure hidden in my bosom, one day this treasure would disappear from the world.

Therefore, writing Household Feng-shui after becoming a monk was also a surprise to myself.

The writing of this book has been quite a difficult task as the field of feng-shui is replete with special terms. If my writing had been too obscure, no student or reader would understand it. Therefore, for beginners, I have refrained from using too many specialized feng-shui terms and have avoided writing anything too deep.

My foremost wish in writing Household Feng-shui is to make this book accessible to all readers. I have tried to present the details incisively and inspiringly so the reader will not feel bogged down by the material.

Of course, this book serves only as a basic introduction to The Secrets of Earth Magic, as the former covers only one thousandth of the latter's content. The Secrets of Earth Magic is divided into twelve sections, comprising of a total of seventy-two chapters. In this latest writing, I have only selected the important points from several chapters. Most of this book is, in fact, based on my own encounters and experiences from putting my feng-shui knowledge into practice.

I know in my heart that the information in this book is valid. I have inspected thousands of houses and proof that this feng-shui knowledge works far exceeds the successes cited in this book. There are numerous feng-shui methods of analyzing residential abodes or burial sites. Initially, these methods may appear easy to learn, but they are actually hard to master. And though the breadth of this book is only a tiny fraction of feng-shui knowledge, the study of this tiny fraction may take one's entire life

Many household feng-shui books (written in Chinese) on the market today employ methods of "directions" and are written in such obscure language that one cannot bear to read them. Some of the "fashionable masters" use tricks to cheat people. I have therefore decided to write this book using reason and logic, eliminating the usual mystique that shrouds the subject.

In regard to the feng-shui theories pertaining to "Three Harmonies," "Three Eras," "Nine Palaces," "Nines Stars," "Five Elements," "Twenty-eight Constellations," "Mysterious Void," "Eight Trigrams," and "Twenty-four Mountains," I hope that, in the future, there will be a chance for me to offer classes on these topics in a systematic way. I have been invited to teach a feng-shui class at the University of Washington and, if this does materialize, I believe it will be enjoyed by both Chinese and American students.

I realized that only by teaching everything in a systematic, prescribed order can students learn and progress gradually from the easiest feng-shui concepts to the most difficult. I am carefully considering the possibility of offering a class on The Secrets of Earth Magic.

Earth energy also plays a role in transcending the "worldly practices." In spiritual cultivation, the cultivator seeks to maneuver his own vital energy, integrating it with the vital energy of Heaven and Earth. That is the reason behind a Tantric practitioner's search for caves of high energy to retreat to. Maneuvering one's vital energy to join the vital energy of Heaven and Earth is a requisite to Merging and Union.

The ultimate attainment in Tantrayana pratice is the precise maneuvering of one's internal energy to identify and merge with the energy of Heaven and Earth, and to then transmute this energy into Emptiness.

Knowledge of geomancy averts future perils.
A practitioner obtains long-lasting peace,
A gold-filled treasury,
As well as benefits in spiritual cultivation.
This all-emcompassing knowledge
Brings goodness and many benefits to the world.

Source :
http://www.padmakumara.org/books/book69/chap34.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment